Root Canal Therapy in Maryville, TN
Studies have shown that the number one cause of tooth loss in adults is tooth decay. Thus, it is important to care for the teeth and visit the dentist for restorative procedures that can save a badly decayed tooth. We, at the dental practice of Dr. Kim C. Norman, offer root canal therapy in Maryville, TN, so an infected, cracked, or injured tooth can be restored to good health. Saving a permanent tooth is essential because this avoids complex and costly teeth replacement procedures later in life.
When is Root Canal Therapy Needed?
• When decay has reached the nerve in the roots of your tooth
• When tooth decay is accompanied by pain and swelling
• When a cracked or injured tooth becomes infected
What Happens During Root Canal Therapy?
Many people are scared of having a root canal therapy, or endodontic treatment, due to a bad experience in the past or incorrect notions about the treatment. Root canal therapy actually relieves pain and restores the strength and health of an infected tooth. Here’s what you should expect during root canal therapy:
• First, the dentist will numb the tooth by applying anesthesia. This makes the entire treatment process painless for you.
• With the use of a tiny drill, the dentist removes the top part of the tooth. This reveals the tooth pulp, which is made up of blood vessels, nerves, and tissues. The pulp is responsible for the blood supply within a tooth, enabling it to feel sensations like pain and temperature.
• The dentist will then remove this infected pulp and clean and disinfect the area, skillfully making sure that the infection is gone.
• The disinfected tooth is sealed with a filling, and oftentimes, followed by a dental crown. The tooth becomes very weak after a root canal therapy; hence, dental crowns may be necessary to strengthen the tooth.
• The dentist may prescribe antibiotics to control infection and swelling.
What to Expect After Root Canal Therapy
Most people can be able to eat normally, the next day, following root canal therapy. Patients also feel relief of pain and discomfort in and around the area after the treatment. A tooth that had been once bothering you of sensitivity to temperature or pain with pressure will feel a whole lot better than when root canal therapy wasn’t performed. Contrary to popular belief, root canal therapy actually brings a lot of comfort to the patient.
Dr. Kim C. Norman – Your Skilled, Experienced Dentist for Root Canal Therapy in Maryville, TN
Root canal therapy involves skill, precision, knowledge, and experience, which are the exact qualities that Dr. Kim C. Norman possesses. We, therefore, invite you to come and visit our practice if you are experiencing pain or swelling caused by an infected tooth. Root canal therapy may be an option that can relieve you of pain and restore the health of your tooth. Call us today at (865) 982-9662! We are in the service of helping you achieve optimum oral health.